As part of the 19th annual Going West books and writers festival, the annual Going West Poetry Slam is back in 2014 directed by Doug Poole and assisted by MC Zane Scarborough. Compete to win generous prizes and perform in the grand final event!
The Grand Final prizes include:
- First prize $1000
- Second prize $500
- Third prize $300
The Going West Poetry Slam comprises of 4 heats and 1 Grand Final. From each one of the 4 heats, 3 finalists will be selected to compete in the Grand Final. The heats are as follows:
East and South: Friday 29 August, 6-8pm. Fresh Gallery Otara, Shop 5, 46 Fairmall, Otara Town Centre.
North and Central: Thursday 4 September, 5-7.30pm. Central City Library, 44 – 46 Lorne Street, Auckland Central
West: Saturday 6 September, 7-9.30pm. Corban Estate Arts Centre, 2 Mt Lebanon Lane, Henderson
Fourth and Final Heat: A fourth heat will take place on Poetry Slam Grand Final night, Saturday 13 September. Registrations from 7.30pm – please note Poetry Slam starts at 8pm sharp. There are a limited number of registrations available for this heat.
Grand Final: Poetry Slam Grand Final, Saturday 13 September, Titirangi War Memorial Hall, 8pm. Register to perform from 7.30pm. Directed by Doug Poole with MCs Zane Scarborough, Ben Brown, and guest judges Selina Tusitala Marsh and Grace Taylor.
- Limited entries to fourth heat
- To make it through each round in the finals you will need to perform 3 three original poem
- Two rounds will be used to determine the final three competitors so you will need to have three poems prepared
- Please be prepared and committed to performing at the finals
- Ticket Price $10.00 through www.eventfinder.co.nz or door sales on the night
- The Grand Final event is ticketed separately to the Passes available for the Going West
Books and Writers Festival. The Poetry Slam is not included in the Festival Tickets. Running time for this event is approximately 2 hours
- There are no prizes for the heats and participation is free. There are no restrictions on subject matter, you may write about anything you feel passionate about.
- There are no restrictions on numbers participating in the first three heats but places are restricted in the fourth and final heat, which is held on the night of the Grand Final, Saturday 13th September, Titirangi War Memorial Hall.
Conditions of Entry
- All written work must be original, and be performed by the writer
- Performance time must be 3-5 minutes and not exceed 5 minutes
- Entrants must be prepared to participate in the Grand Final so three different poems need to be prepared
- By participating in the event, all participants give permission to be photographed and/or filmed, and that recorded material may be used for Going West Books and Writers
Festival promotional purposes:
Email for information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph: 021 02794173
Going West Poetry Slam Director: Doug Poole
Ph: 021 144 6619